Friday, May 30, 2014

Black Bean Chili & Tacos… Sorta Kinda :)

Hola!
Mexican Food was on my mind this week….Clean Eating Mexican Food!
“Quick & Easy” is my motto most weeknights.  After working all day and squeezing in a workout, dinner has to be whipped up in a jiffy – it’s a must!  
 On a recent grocery shopping trip, I discovered “Food for Life - Ezekiel Brand” tortillas…They are delicious in my humble opinion but if you are comparing them to the traditional soft, white flour tortillas, you may have to adjust a bit….I promise it won’t take long.  The ingredients in these speak for themselves!   Healthy and well worth it!
Black Bean Chili Burritos – Vegetarian
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil or Olive Oil
1 Small Onion – diced
2 Cloves of Garlic – diced
2 Cans of Black Beans –  drain & rinse (Buy organic if possible)
½ squeezed lemon or lime
1 tub fresh prepared salsa from grocery store (I like the roasted salsa) FRESH – NOT THE JAR STUFF!
1 bunch of cilantro – wash and finely chopped
Food for Life Ezekiel Sprouted Tortillas – I buy them at Trader Joes!
Avocado
2% Greek Yogurt (sour cream substitute)

I will add red bell pepper sometimes too…not a must though!

Spices:  A pinch of each!

Salt & Pepper
Cayenne if you like a bit of spice
Cumin
Smoked Paprika
Garlic Powder

Brown the onion & garlic with oil.  Add beans, lemon or lime juice, fresh salsa, spices and warm through.  Heat tortilla in a pan and roll into burritos.  I have been using Greek yogurt in place of sour cream and I absolutely love it.  To be honest, I am not a fan of the fat free version, I prefer the Fage Greek yogurt 2%.  





Tacos…Sorta Kinda!

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1lb Ground Beef  - Lean (You can also use ground turkey or chicken)
1 diced onion
3 cloves garlic
1 small can black olives - drained
Taco Season – I used store bought for convenience  ( I added smoked paprika for additional kicking up)
1 small can green chili’s
Fresh cilantro - finely chopped
2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous or quinoa

Toppings:

Fresh tomato - diced
Avocado - diced
Diced Green Onions
Greek Yogurt

First brown & season your taco meat mixture – onions, garlic, green chili's and seasoning. Next add black olives and finely chopped cilantro when meat is cooked.  Cook whole wheat couscous or you can use quinoa separately.  When done assemble.  Couscous or quinoa, add meat and top with fresh diced tomato, avocado, green onions and Greek yogurt.  For an added kick, drizzle with sriracha!  Again….quick and easy!  


Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment