Friday, June 20, 2014

Grilled Zucchini Lasagna



Hello,
Last week I had this overwhelming urge to play Martha Stewart and cook up something amazing…grilled chicken & salad was NOT in the game plan.  Before eating clean, my "go to" would have been a traditional lasagna or a pan of enchiladas oozing with cheese and served with sour cream. While this dish contains plenty of oozing cheese, it did seem like a healthier option or at least that is what I made myself believe!  Let’s just say I went the " Paleo route” vs. the “Clean Eating route” on this one! At least I have a clear conscience telling myself that.LOL. Ok, enough of the chatter…moving on to the good stuff!
Grilled Zucchini Vegetable Lasagna
5 to 6 large zucchini washed and cut
Olive oil
1 jar of your favorite tomato pasta sauce – personally, I like the (3 cheese blend from Trader Joe’s)
1 jar of roasted bell peppers  - drained and chopped up
1 container of whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 cup of chopped spinach
Parmesan cheese shredded
Fresh Basil - sliced


Spices:  A Pinch of Each

Garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
Nutmeg


Slice all zucchini horizontal (not too thick) and drizzle with olive oil and salt pepper.  Grill on the BBQ until soft and a bit charred.  


In a bowl mix the ricotta, chopped roasted bell peppers, spinach, egg and spices.  


I used a small baking pan since a traditional lasagna pan would be too large.  Start layering by adding a bit of pasta sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and parmesan and continue the layers until everything is gone.  Top with more parmesan & fresh basil.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to set up for 20 minutes before serving.  


This tasty dish is perfect for guests or a celebration dinner!  In my world, a celebration could simply be surviving a long work week! Enjoy…

Grilled Zucchini - lightly brushed with Olive Oil S&P


Ricotta Cheese with Roasted Bell Peppers & Spinach 


Roasted Bell Peppers & Pasta Sauce - Both from Trader Joe's
Assembling 

Still Layering :)
Layering until all ingredients are gone!
Enjoy :)

Update on the exercise front….

I am happy to report that I went out for my first run on Wednesday morning. My first one in almost two weeks & I felt decent…no pains or popping.  I really took my time and moved  slow…it was only 2 1/2 miles.. but it was a start and it felt great to be out again.  My next run is scheduled for Sunday and I hoping to log 3 more miles…pain free!  I will continue this pattern until I am certain the injury is healed.  My half marathon isn't until October, that should give me plenty of time to pick up my pace and get comfortable with distance again…
In the mean time, I continue to spin, swim, strength train and follow orders! 
 Wishing you all a STRONG & FIT Weekend!  




1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy!! I've never made lasagna of any kind before, but this one seems like a great substitution for the pasta. I could see myself making this in late summer/early fall when the evenings are getting crisp, but the zucchini is still in season.

    ReplyDelete