Friday, April 25, 2014

What "Eating Clean" means to me….

As many of you know this journey started in January 2014 with a "friendly" office weight loss competition. I won the competition and developed a whole new respect for taking care of my self.
Positive Changes in my Health since eating clean:
Change in taste buds/cravings:  I now crave raw, cut vegetables instead of my former laughing cow cheese and Wheat Thins.

Satisfaction:  I have a feeling of satisfaction after meals instead of hunger that used to ensue 20-30 minutes after a meal.
Increased Energy:  When I originally started eating clean, I had so much energy that I could wake up early in the morning complete an hour of exercise, work all day and rush home to exercise again.  Sitting around was not an option…I was like a race horse, I could not wait to get out and run!  My body is now getting used to this abundance of energy and things are starting calm down.

What clean eating means to me:

Swapping out (and reducing) sugar – I have cut refined processed sugar from my diet… the obvious cookies, candy, soda and desserts.  But I took it one step further and cut out starches too.  Our household meals always consisted of a starch – pasta, bread or rice.   I believe carbohydrates are an excellent source of energy and necessary.  So I swapped them and once or twice a week, we have either whole wheat cous cous, quinoa or brown rice.

86’d the Booze – I should start by saying I was never a big drinker, but I enjoyed the occasional weeknight glass of wine and few on the weekends.  I figured if I was going to give clean eating a fair shake, I had to cut drinking.  I wanted to feel my absolute best and I knew adding poison even on occasion would not get me there. 

Dairy – I LOVE cheese…I mean LOVE cheese….cheese and wine as a matter of fact.  I seriously wondered how I would survive without cheese on my Mexican food…no cheddar on my tacos???  Crazy talk.  Well, I cut that too and I have to say I don’t miss it….that’s what avocado is for!  I have never been a milk drinker, so giving that up was easy.  I don’t believe dairy is evil…I still love my greek yogurt in my smoothies…it was mainly cheese for me and if I were going to lose weight…I had to give it up (at least for now).  
Clean eating boils down to choices for me. I choose to take better care of myself and I am loving the way I feel these days. Below are some progress pictures (AKA: Selfies) that I have taken along the journey.
Left Picture Sept 2013 - Right Picture April 2014

Left Picture Dec 2013- Right Picture April 2014

Left Picture - When it all started (the date is incorrect - picture is from 2009) Right Picture is Feb 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment