Friday, April 25, 2014

Sweet Potato Breakfast

Sweet Potato w/ Nut Butter and Berries:

I love breakfast…it is my favorite meal of the day.  I am always dreaming up ways to make it interesting, keep it fresh but more importantly get the best bang for my buck in the nutrition department.  This recipe was built from my love for oatmeal….I wrecked my brain to come up with another complex carbohydrate and sweet potato jumped right in its place…
Since I work and leave the house early in the morning, I pre-prep this meal by baking 3 or 4 sweet potatoes on Sunday.  I store them in a large zip lock bag in the fridge and use one per day.  
A large sweet potato will make two servings.  

Wash the sweet potatoes really well….place on a baking sheet and bake at 350-375 degrees until fork tender.  Cut the sweet potato in half, remove from the skin and spread a bit of coconut oil on the flesh (this is in place of butter) a tiny bit will do.
Sprinkle with cinnamon, add a tablespoon of raw almond butter or peanut butter & top with berries of your choice.  If you prefer a bit of sweetness, you can drizzle agave nectar or honey on top!

1 large sweet potato (makes 2 servings)
Coconut oil – just a bit for flavor
Cinnamon – sprinkle
Fresh berries – Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries or Raspberries
Agave nectar or Honey
Raw peanut butter or almond butter
Hemp seeds or Chia seeds or both

This breakfast is a powerhouse after a great workout but can certainly be enjoyed anytime.  It seriously is my favorite thing right now!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment