Friday, August 30, 2013

Tomato Harvest & Homemade Red Sauce


Hello :),

We had our final tomato harvest this week!  I decided to make a red pasta sauce that will freeze well and be delicious in a few month when we start missing this beautiful Summer crop.  Just in time for the Holidays!  This is a really simple sauce made using 6 ingredients (including salt and pepper)!  

1 onion finely diced
5 cloves of fresh garlic diced
Fresh Tomatoes (I used about 3 pounds)diced into semi large chunks
1/2 cup olive oil
Basil 
Salt and Pepper

In a large sauce pot, saute onion and garlic until fragrant and starting to brown & soften (do not burn or overcook, this will effect the flavor).  Add your tomatoes, salt & pepper, cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer for about 30 minutes.  Tomatoes, onions and garlic will start to reduce and the tomatoes should be soft.  I used a hand held mixer to puree the ingredients and finish my sauce.  If you do not have a hand held mixer, a traditional blender would work well too (just blend in batches).  Add a swirl more of olive oil and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.  Add fresh basil prior to serving.

Since I am leaving town tomorrow for a short vacation, I did not have time to make a video.  I have included some pictures! 

Enjoy!  









1 comment:

  1. Simple and amazing. I make it the exact same way except I now omit the oil and I add red pepper flakes. You are an amazing cook.

    ReplyDelete