Saturday, August 17, 2013

Bell Pepper, Lentil & Quinoa Casserole - Vegetarian





Recipe:

1 Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1 Maui Onion Chopped
1 Zucchini or Yellow Squash Diced
2 Diced Cloves of Garlic
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Handfuls of Raw Spinach
2 Cups Cooked Quinoa
Steamed Lentils (I use the steamed lentils from Trader Joe's for convenience however, you could also use canned lentils) If using the Traders Joe's lentils, use 1/2 the package. Be sure to rinse with water and drain prior to adding.
1 Jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I use the Trader Joe's brand as pictured above).
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Shredded Mozzarella
Basil

Heat your pan with olive oil and saute bell pepper, onion, zucchini and garlic until soft.  Next add the spinach and cook until welted.  Add pasta sauce and salt and pepper.  Combine the above with your cooked quinoa, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven until cheese is melted.  Serve with fresh basil.

I have discovered that the quickest and easiest way to cook quinoa is using a rice maker.  I cook it just like rice, 1 part grain to 2 parts water.  It seems to come out nice and fluffy this way.  Start the quinoa first and the timing will be perfect when the lentil mixture is ready.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this it looks amazing. I love lentils. I think they would taste amazing in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete