Saturday, April 25, 2015

Life is all about balance...


You won’t be perfect no matter what you think and you will go overboard at times.  It’s the next move that matters most – if you over indulge or miss a workout – Don’t give up! Keep going! It’s all about balance and your next choice whether it be food or exercise is what really counts….Big picture thinking wins every time. 
The “prior” Bobbi used to have this all or none thinking…If I ate something unhealthy, that meal turned into a day or even a weekend of bad choices.  Today, it’s more about balancing the scales.  One bad food choice just means the next choice will be better.  If I hit the snooze button on the 4:20a alarm and choose to sleep vs. working out, guess what?  I owe this body a workout in the evening.  It all counts!  Today, I choose to celebrate small victories and not let old patterns keep me stuck.

Less talking....More Doing
Now for some Fun & Healthy Recipes: 
Growing up, my mom made “enchilada pie” which consisted of flour tortillas, a ton of cheese as well as canned creamed soup & beans.  While delicious and safe to say a “family favorite” it definitely was not hip and thigh friendly.  I think I may have found a close runner up while cutting out the processed carbohydrates, canned products and using less cheese. I also feel it is safe to say my dad would 100% disagree with me on this one!  Haha 

Tex Mex Shepards Pie: 
2 medium sweet potatoes – bakes until super soft and peeled
½ cup Fage Greek Yogurt – nonfat or low fat
1 tablespoon of coconut oil 
 2 lbs lean ground beef or lean ground turkey (I used beef)
½ of a finely chopped sweet onion 
2 ribs of finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
3 tablespoons Bella Wing Sauce – Available at Whole Foods or substitute you can use red enchilada sauce 
Packet of Taco Seasoning 
½ bag frozen veggies (corn, carrots and peas)
Green onions chopped used for topping
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese for topping 

In a large nonstick pan, brown the onion and celery using the coconut oil.  Add your meat and fully cook.  Next add your taco seasoning, mixed veggies, mustard and either Bella Wing Sauce or enchilada sauce (I used appx 3 tablespoons of Bella's Wing Sauce) however, you can add more if you prefer a saucy texture.  Salt and Pepper to taste.
Using a hand held or stand up mixer  – add your baked and peeled sweet potatoes with Greek yogurt and black pepper.  Mix together until smooth. 

In a Pam sprayed baking dish (I used a large loaf pan) – first add your meat mixture and top with sweet potatoes.  Final layer is shredded sharp cheddar cheese and green onions if using.  Bake at 350 until cheese is melted.  








Enjoy! 

Now go out and don't forget to be AWESOME! 

No comments:

Post a Comment