Friday, August 22, 2014

Just a little Earthy Crunchy - Granola


Hello
Last week an office mate brought in granola from Panera Bread.  In a weak moment, I took a small handful just to realize it was full of processed sugar & oil.  I did not eat enough to regret it (make me feel bad) but it got my wheels spinning on how I could improve such a delicious treat and make it somewhat healthy.  While this recipe is certainly not low in fat because of the various nuts used, it is super filling & delicious. Let’s just say the first batch lasted less than 24 hours at Cafe5400 - whoopsie!  I could not stop eating it….yes, it’s that good!
Fantastic on its own but amazing with plain yogurt and fresh berries!  

1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup pitted and chopped dates
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut oil - melted
1/4 cup almond flour - sold at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Combine everything together. Turn out on a baking sheet and spread into an even layer.  Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool completely.  Allowing to cool will form clusters. 

All ingredients in a bowl.

Ready to be baked! 

Baked and Cooling 

Ready to EAT!

Let’s chat Running & Motivation: 

I recently went to Sport Chalet to get a birthday gift for my dad and while checking out I saw all these “I’d rather be _______” license plate frames hanging on the wall.  While the cashier was ringing up my purchase, I asked “how much are the frames?” She responds, “oh, they are free - which two would you like?”  I glance at them all and decide on the “I’d rather be running” frame.  I figure I finally qualify as a runner…I get up when rest of the world is sleeping to run, I have officially suffered a “running” injury (no fun by the way) and I am signed up for my first half marathon in October…what more do I need right?  So with pride, I officially consider myself a runner and advertise it to the world. 

Speaking of which, tomorrow I am setting out for 9 miles!  To be honest, running any amount of distance always makes me nervous – nervous in a good sense!  It’s the only activity I truly mentally prep for…I go through the full checklist: 

  • Is my Garmin charged? Where is my chest strap?
  • What clothes/shoes will I wear?
  • Fill up the water bottles.
  • What sort of nutrition?
  • Don't forget the Sunscreen. 
  • Cue the tunes! 

Even through all of this, I would not change it for the world…the sense of accomplishment outweighs it all!  


How do you convince yourself to work out when you don’t really feel like it?

YOU NEVER REGRET A WORK OUT – I have never finished a workout and said to myself “man, I wish I never did that”.  A great work out is the best medicine in the world…think of how good you feel when you are done!  

SHOWING UP IS HALF THE BATTLE – I work out in the early morning (4:30a) to be exact and NO it’s never easy peeling myself out of bed. My reward is how I am going to feel the rest of the day!  I lay out my clothes the night before and once I am up, there is not turning back.  I am committed!  

REMEMBER WHY YOU STARTED – This one is super important.  I think back to January before I started eating clean and staying committed to my plan, I had so many “un-happy” days….I would start something, dream big and before I knew it, I was pushing my goals down the road for a quick instant feel good fix.  I gave myself a million excuses and never completed what I set out to accomplish.  Staying on track means never looking back and not having to start over numerous times!  Set goals & crush them!  The rewards are huge and deserving! 

I end this post with a reminder, keeping up a healthy lifestyle and being active is important as we all know... if not, you could end up looking like this.....LOL



Wishing you all a fun and fit weekend!  Go out and be AWESOME! 






No comments:

Post a Comment